You can start studying all the courses taught in English flexibly throughout the academic year. When thinking about starting your studies, you can send an enquiry to the contact person of the subject in question. He or she will help you to make a good start with your studies.
Finnish language courses are offered as contact teaching (read more).
For Finnish citizens
- Register as a student through the Korppi data system.
- Register to the study programme or the single course of your choice.
- Please note, that when you confirm your registration, Korppi system will create the study fee payment information for you electronically. You will not get a paper invoice by mail.
For other nationalities (Psychology and Intercultural Communication)
- Contact Student Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) and explain briefly your reasons for applying and your goals relating to the Open University studies. Fill in registration form you will receive.
- Return the registration form as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com or by mail to the address University of Jyväskylä, Open University, PL 35, FI-40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
- Include "Registration / name of the subject" in the subject field of the e-mail, for example, "Registration / psychology"
- You will receive an invoice for the study fee after returning the registration form. The fee is invoiced as a total sum. By paying the study fee you confirm your registration. We will only accept study fees paid in euro currency.
- After the Open University has received both your registration form and your payment, you will receive more detailed instructions for studying.
- Once study fees have been paid, they will not be refunded.
For other nationalities (Finnish language courses)
- Contact the Finnish language studies contact person by e-mail to express your wish to join the Suomi 1 or Suomi 2 course. You will then receive a registration form.
- Fill in the registration form carefully and return it as an e-mail attachment to the contact person or by mail with her/his name to the following address: University of Jyväskylä, Open University, PL 35, 40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
- Include "Registration / name of the subject" in the subject field of the e-mail, for example, "Registration / Suomi 1"
- By returning the filled registration form you commit to paying the study fee of the course. You will receive an invoice of the study fee by mail. The fee is invoiced as a total sum. Study fees can be paid only in euro currency.
- On Suomi 1 and Suomi 2 courses you will get more information of the studies from the teacher at the first meeting. Check the timetable and the info on classroom in Korppi, and please make sure you have access to the book used on the course.
Study time limit
After paying a study fee, you have a right to study the chosen basic studies programme for 360 days. Study time limit for single courses is 150 days. On Finnish language courses the study time depends on the timetable of the course.
If you want to continue your studies after your right to study has expired, you can enroll on courses that you still need to complete and pay the required study fees (15 Euros/1 ECTS credits).
As you confirm your registration, you will accept the terms of cancellation concerning registration to studies at the Open University of the University of Jyväskylä.
Terms of cancelling registration to the studies in the Open University of the University of Jyväskylä
You can cancel your registration within 14 days of your registration date. To cancel your registration, send an e-mail to Open University office.
- If the student cancels his/her registration for the study module, his/her study right will be cancelled and he/she will be charged 50 Euros as a cancellation fee.
- If the student has prior to his/her cancellation paid the study fee or part of it, 50 Euros will be held as a cancellation fee and the remaining study fee will be refunded.
- If the student cancels his/her registration for a single course, his/her study right will be cancelled and he/she will be charged the study fee or a maximum of 50 Euros as a cancellation fee.
Registration to studies cannot be cancelled after
- 14 days from the registration date or
- if a student has already participated in the class or completed studies during current study right.
If a student is unable to study due to some medical or health-related reason and wants to cancel his/her registration after 14 days from the registration date, the student must submit a written appeal to the Open University office. The student must attach a medical certificate which details the medical or health-related reasons preventing the student from studying. The appeal should also include the students banking information for possible refund.
If the Open University has to cancel a course because of a too few registered students, the paid study fee will be refunded in full.